A wine with a contemporary style, having an elegant and intense profile. This wines show the character of the selected vineyard parcels on the Estate.
Integrated Production (certificate)
Excellent year for red wines in this region. The low winter rainfall contributed to a smaller than average grape harvest with deeply concentrated high quality wines.
Clay loam structure, granite/schist origin.
AVERAGE AGE OF VINES
Varieties harvested and vinified separately, destemmed/crushed, stainless steel temperature controlled fermentation (22ºC to 25ºC), pressed, controlled malolatic fermentation in tank.
30% of the blend was aged in tank, the other 70% in French oak for a period of 6 months.
6 month bottle maturation before market release.
In the 18th century, João de Aboim, a descendent of Egas Moniz and an important figure in the time of King Afonso III, created, from the different lands given by the Monsaraz and Portel municipalities, Defesa do Esporão one of the oldest estates of this type in Southern Portugal.
Defesas were large demarcated estates that were defended against grazing cattle from other areas and directly linked to the founding of Portugal during the Christian reconquest of the south. Examples of agro-forestry and pastoralist systems, defesas had a variety of uses. Deriving from the Mediterranean forest, at the time of the founders, the defesas reclaimed land from forests for the purpose of pasture.
Defesa do Esporão was one of the key examples of this type of estate linked to the founding of Portugal. Its boundaries, which were established in the late-13th century by a charter kept at Torre do Tombo national archive, have remained unchangend until today.
For centuries, the estate has employed agro-forestry and pastoralist methods based on the preservation of biodiversity and a multifunctional system that Esporão considers best practice to protect our ecosystem.
David Baverstock and Luís Patrão
Clear, intense ruby colour.
Floral aromatics from the Touriga variety, with balancing notes of leather and chocolate from Syrah.
Rich and full bodied palate, with firm structural tannins and balancing acidity.
By downloading and/or using any of the graphic materials provided on this page, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed to the Image and Video Usage Agreement (hereinafter Agreement) below, which governs the use of images and videos of Esporão, S.A. If you do not agree to the terms of the Agreement, you must refrain from using or copying the said graphic materials, unless you have written authorisation duly signed by a representative of Esporão, S.A.
Once subject to the terms of this Agreement, you may use the images and videos, only in full, for editorial use and/or for industry analysis. This right of use is non-transferable to other individuals or companies. The graphic material may not, under any circumstances, be used to promote or sell any product, service or technology (e.g. in advertising, brochures, books, photos or any type of merchandising), unless advance authorisation has been obtained for this, duly signed by a representative of Esporão, S.A. The right of use does not allow the images or videos to be altered or modified, in whole or in part, for any purpose.
Esporão, S.A. has and shall continue to have sole and exclusive ownership of the contents presented here. It is expressly forbidden to delete, modify or conceal any notices of ownership related to the image or video, and, for each use, the image or video in question must be clearly identified as being owned by Esporão, S.A.