Herdade do Esporão

The Barrel Tunnel and the Cellars

The Barrel Tunnel and the Cellars

Esporão’s large barrel tunnel, which is one of the tourist attractions of Herdade do Esporão and resembles a 15-metre wide metro tunnel, is buried 12-metres deep, providing the best natural temperature and humidity without the need for artificial control or energy and environmental costs.

It houses approximately 1,500 225-litre bordalesa barrels, about 70% of which are American oak, with the remainder French oak. We replace approximately 30% of these barrels annually and they have an expected lifetime of 3 to 4 years. In addition to the large barrel tunnel, there are also side niches where we keep and age wine after it has been bottled, plus a room where we keep a collection of our best vintages.

The area also has a refrigerated cellar for stabilisation and storage, thus providing the best conditions for Esporão’s whites to mature.